What is a VPN and how can it protect me?
VPNs are vital for your online privacy and security
A VPN is essential for modern privacy online.
Everyone knows data stored on the internet is vulnerable to data breaches. When you use unsecured Wi-Fi networks at coffee shops or libraries, your traffic, browsing habits, and private information are all exposed and traceable.
You need to prioritize online security and privacy.
This brings us to VPNs. VPN stands for virtual private network; it creates a private network from a public internet connection and shields your internet protocol address, making your online activities untrackable. The purpose is essentially to provide you anonymity and privacy by turning a public network into a private one.
How can a VPN protect me?
1. A VPN preserves your internet freedom by hiding different kinds of information that can jeopardize your privacy if exposed. Some of this information includes:
- The devices you use to surf the net
- Your actual physical location
- Your browser history and web activities
- Your IP address
2. Since a VPN uses encryption to create a tunnel between you and the VPN’s remote server, you can be confident that your identity and information are secure. For instance, if you’re searching for certain products and services to meet a particular need, a VPN would protect you from torrents of targeted ads related to your private search queries.
3. A VPN can protect you even when you’re using your own private internet connection. This is important because internet service providers are allowed to sell anonymized data about their customers. The tunnel the VPN creates for you prevents the ISP from accessing and monetizing your data.
In this day and age, data and online privacy are of utmost importance, considering the fact that virtually every aspect of our lives is tied to the internet one way or another. It’s a new fact of life that if you’re using public Wi-Fi without a VPN, you could be exposing your personal details to miscreants and thieves. Are you prepared to manage the cleanup effort if you fall victim to identity theft or credit card fraud?
A VPN is a strong starting point toward your online privacy and security protection without compromising your virtual freedom.