Identity theft victims seek nearby New York lawyers in Brooklyn
Welcome! The fact that you searched online for an identity theft victim lawyer near you indicates that you or a loved one may have been victimized by someone who thought nothing of using your sensitive information — like your Social Security number or bank account number — for their own personal gain. Though it’s no consolation, you’re not alone. Identity theft is one of the fastest-growing crimes in the country, and New York is experiencing the lion’s share of the surge.
New York Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli stated that the number of identity theft victims in New York is on the rise. DiNapoli revealed that in 2020, statewide complaints from identity theft victims had skyrocketed by 85% compared to the previous year.
Unfortunately, the pandemic played a role in that precipitous increase. “Resolving the consequences of stolen personal information is complicated and can take months of effort on the part of the victim. Often, the pain is felt later when victims have trouble getting a job, renting an apartment, or getting a loan” said DiNapoli.
In New York, much of 2020’s identity theft surge revolved around unemployment benefits and other government programs. It also included thieves who used others’ personal information to obtain prescription drugs, medical services, or medical insurance coverage.
Legal representation can maximize recoveries
At Consumer Attorneys, we’re fully aware of how concerned you must be about thieves getting their hands on your sensitive information. There are two things that should give you peace of mind: 1) We can connect you with a seasoned identity theft victim lawyer near you, and 2) we can provide you comprehensive assistance toward emotional and financial recovery starting right now.
If you know the person who stole your identity, or if law enforcement can find the individual, we can sue the perpetrator in both criminal and civil court. There are other options available if the thief remains anonymous, but representation by strong legal counsel is critical to ensure the best possible outcomes. We’ll carry that load for you.
We nip identity theft in the bud
It’s astonishing how a simple Social Security number can do so much damage in the wrong hands — hands that use it to open new credit card lines, drain bank accounts, file tax returns to receive a tax refund, gain employment, or illegally claim another person’s child as a dependent. In some cases, the IRS can even come after identity theft victims for back taxes they never incurred.
Consumer Attorneys offers a light at the end of the tunnel, and it begins with a free case consultation and a simple phone call to our legal team at 1-877-615-1725. Our legal professionals work toward putting an end to the mental anguish, financial upheaval, and credit damage that identity theft victims endure at the hands of thieves.
As a leading national consumer protection law firm, Consumer Attorneys’ 10+ years of experience has helped clients effectively deal with not only identity theft struggles, but also debt collection harassment, background check errors, and credit-reporting misconduct.
Consumer Attorneys, based in New York City, represents clients nationwide in state and federal courts. To date, our efforts have secured more than $100 million in monetary recoveries. We’ll fight for any compensation legally due to you, including possible third-party liability from lending institutions/banks, merchants, employers, hospitals/health care facilities and others who may have in some way contributed to your losses through negligence.
Identity thieves are equal-opportunity crooks
Identity thieves are opportunistic and will capitalize on any situation that could potentially generate more ill-gotten gain. Even children’s Social Security numbers aren’t off limits; once stolen, thieves can use children’s Social Security numbers to open lines of credit and much more.
Here are just a few ways identity theft victims in New York can fall prey to crooks’ schemes:
- Government identity theft: Thieves use your Social Security number, passport, or driver’s license to apply for local or national government benefits which could include unemployment, disability, food stamps, etc.
- Scam identity theft: You receive an email, call, text, or social media request regarding goods, services, or promises you believe are legitimate but aren’t, and you end up providing your personal information. Call our legal team now.
- Financial identity theft: Someone takes over your bank account or sets up a new account in your name without your permission. Time is of the essence; we’re here to take your call.
- Data breach identity theft: You receive notification that your personal information was exposed in a data breach or other security incident. Our identity theft lawyers are here to help.
- Medical identity theft: Your medical provider or insurance company notifies you that someone other than you used your medical services. This could involve a variety of health care services including getting prescriptions filled. This type of theft could prevent you from 1) being authorized for critical medications; 2) submitting claims; 3) receiving medical care, and more.
- Criminal identity theft: You receive a court summons or a visit from law enforcement with a warrant for your arrest even though you did nothing wrong. Thieves can provide authorities with stolen personal information during investigations or traffic violations; if the imposter doesn’t appear in court as ordered, an arrest warrant could ensue for the innocent person who belongs to the stolen information. It’s time to take legal action — give us a call!
- Mortgage identity theft: Your home’s title is in someone’s name, and that name isn’t yours. A criminal steals your identity via phishing scams or stolen tax returns or bank records and forges your deed or title documents in an attempt to sell your home or borrow against it.
New York residents can take advantage of Consumer Attorneys’ identity theft protection plans which offer something money can’t buy: mental tranquility.
Don’t react, prevent
It’s critically important to shield yourself from thieves who won’t think twice about using your Social Security number, credit card numbers or offers, driver’s license number, medical insurance information, reward account numbers, and other vulnerable information.
Resolving identity theft issues without legal representation can be extremely time consuming and complex. What’s more, lack of legal support can make victims feel alone in their battle. Trying to repair the damage caused by identity theft yourself can involve hundreds of hours of personal time, all the while giving thieves even more opportunities to cause financial mayhem.
At Consumer Attorneys, we’re ready to put an end to the madness. You can start with our identity theft and legal protection plans which include identity monitoring, in which we constantly scan the dark web and other locations for suspicious activity. We also provide credit monitoring services, regularly reviewing clients’ credit reports and profiles, highlighting unusual activity that could be the first indicator that fraud has occurred and that action is required immediately.
Through Consumer Attorneys, our New York clients enjoy 24/7 access to U.S.-based certified identity theft resolution specialists who help navigate identity theft-related issues and put safeguards in place to minimize future damage.
Protect yourself by taking advantage of the legal plan that best suits your needs.
Leader Protection Plan: $9.99/month
- $1 million in identity theft insurance
- Three-bureau credit score/credit monitoring and alerts
- Dark web surveillance and alerts
- Identity monitoring
- High-risk transaction protection
- Compromised credentials monitoring
- Data recovery and device cleanup assistance
- Home internet security restoration
- Email health check
Individual Legal Protection Plan: $79.99/month
- All the benefits of the Leader Protection Plan plus:
- Monthly credit report analysis and managing any necessary dispute letters
- Employment and housing background check report analysis
- Debt collection and harassment protection
- One-hour attorney phone consultation
- Telemarketing/spam harassment protection
Here’s the kicker: We’ll never charge you any upfront or out-of-pocket fees. Our identity theft attorneys earn compensation via financial recoveries as part of a contingency-fee agreement when they win on behalf of their clients. Consumer Attorneys will put you in touch with an identity theft lawyer team near you who will evaluate your case and advise you of your next move.
The road to recovery begins here
At Consumer Attorneys, we handle every case with the utmost efficiency and personalized attention. New York residents can connect with our legal team by:
- Calling 1-877-615-1725 for immediate assistance and a free case consultation
- Filling out our brief contact form or initiating a live chat to share any concerns
- Visiting www.consumerattorneys.com for additional information on all our legal services
- Reaching out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, at any time
Justice is served thanks to our evidence-based, expert-led, and solutions-driven strategies!
¿Es usted víctima de los acreedores, los cobradores de deudas o las agencias de información crediticia?
Póngase en contacto con nosotros y le devolveremos su vida financiera a la normalidad.