If an AppFolio background check caused a denial of your rental application, you may be able to sue
Have you gone through the disappointment of being denied as a tenant for a rental property? Do you know why your application for that rental house, apartment, or condominium was turned down? The reason(s) may have been legitimate, such as being a smoker or owning an unauthorized pet. Then again, the reason(s) you were turned down as a potential tenant could have been due to errors on your credit report or tenant background check.
There are a number of tenant screening software programs that allow landlords or property managers to sift through applicants and determine the best candidates in terms of financial stability, clean criminal records, etc. AppFolio, a property management software, conducts background checks and may have been used to determine your 'tenant-worthiness.’
The reason you should know is because screening reports of all types frequently contain errors. If your AppFolio report has errors and if those errors contributed to you being denied acceptance as a tenant, you could have grounds for a lawsuit!
I found errors. What do I do now?
If you discovered false information on your AppFolio background check, you are not alone. Tenant screening errors are far too common, and rental-seekers pay the price. Mistakes can include consumers with similar names having their files merged or mistakenly included felony charges that belong to someone else. Do not think you must blindly accept being rejected. You may have legal recourse and the ability to sue in federal court!
This is where Consumer Attorneys steps in. We will not allow any parties to minimize your rights or shove them under the rug. If you have a case that qualifies for a lawsuit, we will not only fight for your rights but will work aggressively toward what you may qualify for in terms of financial compensation.
Regarding any errors on your tenant screening report, you'll want to know the following:
- Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), you have a right to dispute any errors.
- If your dispute is not addressed within 30 days, you may have grounds to sue.
- Under the FCRA, tenant screening companies must be sure that the information they report is accurate and updated.
Contact AppFolio regarding any disputes:
Address (Consumer Relations): 50 Castilian Drive, Goleta, California 93117
Consumer Relations website: appfolio.com/consumer
What would allow me to sue AppFolio?
If you experienced one or more of the following, you need to contact Consumer Attorneys right away since a lawsuit may be your next step:
- Incorrect information on your AppFolio tenant screening report caused you to be denied a rental property
- Incorrect information on your AppFolio tenant screening report caused a delay with getting a rental property
- A background check was performed without your authorization
- The screening was used against you and you were not properly notified
- The leasing terms and/or deposit amount pertaining to the rental property were modified due to errors on the AppFolio report
If you have submitted a proper dispute with AppFolio, they have a 30-day window to resolve your issues. If your report errors are not removed within that time period or if your dispute was ignored, contact Consumer Attorneys at (800)604-0466.
Our powerhouse legal team will right the wrongs
At Consumer Attorneys, we'll connect you with a seasoned lawyer who will assess your situation as part of a free case review. You can also take advantage of a free credit report analysis. As mentioned, your circumstances may entitle you to financial compensation.
Also, there is no need to worry about attorney costs since you will pay no out-of-pocket fees. Our tenant screening lawyers only receive a fee if they win on your behalf! Consumer Attorneys is ready to serve as your aggressive legal advocate and ally.
Let's talk and move forward!
If your tenant screening report includes damaging errors or if your errors have not been remedied after a proper dispute, you can connect with our legal experts in various ways:
- Call (800)604-0466 for immediate assistance and a free case review.
- Fill out our brief Contact Us form or initiate a live chat to share your concerns.
Reach out to us at email@example.com with any questions.
Are you violated by creditors, debt collectors, or credit reporting agencies?
Call us, and we will restore your financial life back to normal.